Do You Qualify?
Families apply to local habitat affiliates. A Family Selection Committee chooses homeowners based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program and their ability to repay the affordable monthly mortgage. Every affiliate follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing the families that receive Habitat houses.
The Need for Adequate Shelter
1. The family must demonstrate that their present living conditions are unacceptable for reasons of overcrowding, structural safety, the neighborhood, or the inability to make high rent or utility payments.
2. The partnering family must have lived in North Dakota for a period of one year.
Willingness to Partner
1. The family must be able to make an initial down payment equivalent to 1% of the anticipated mortgage on the house. For homes built in Mandan, this amount will be approximately $600.00 including escrow, $50.00 of this is due upon signing the letter accepting the Habitat home; the remaining $550.00 is due when you move into the house.
2. The family with 2 adults must be willing to work on their house or other Habitat projects for a minimum of 400 sweat equity hours of which 100 hours can be donated by family members, relatives or friends. A single parent family must accumulate 200 hours of which 50 may be donated.
3. The application must be returned to the Habitat office to be reviewed by the Family Selection Committee.
4. The family must participate in the Bismarck/Mandan Home Buyers counseling program.
Ability to Pay
1. The family should demonstrate that they have a steady, stable income and the ability to pay an affordable monthly mortgage.
2. The financial history should show no bankruptcy in the past 12 months.
3.Family should meet the monthly GROSS income figures which were established using the latest median income guidelines for Burleigh and Morton counties in North Dakota.
MONTHLY GROSS INCOME GUIDELINES*
* - Guidelines subject to change.
|design and programming by inet technologies|